I love ‘travel packs’ for backpacking as they zip all the way round which not only makes it easier to find something in your pack, but also means your more likely to fold your clothes when your repacking rather than just stuffing them back into a traditional top loader backpack.
In addition, buying a travel pack especially for women means it will be tailored to fit women’s smaller frame making it more comfortable to carry. Whereas buying a backpack that has been essentially built for a man (although labelled ‘unisex’) is likely to give us ladies back pain, even if only carried for a short period of time.
When I set out on my first backpacking trip, over 5 years ago now, I bought a 80L men’s travel pack off ebay without even trying it on, thinking it would be ok as I didn’t plan to have it on my back too often (only when on public transport and moving between hotels). However, I spent the duration of my trip struggling with a man’s travel pack that gave me back pain, and which my backpacking buddies laughed at and said ‘you look like a turtle carrying its home on its back’ due to its size in proportion to my small frame. Now I have experienced travelling with a women’s Lowe Alpine travel pack, I will never go back to buying unisex packs again.
Here is my list of best women’s travel packs currently on the market.
1. Lowe Alpine TT Tour ND 60L (RRP: £130 / $205)
This is my number one recommendation for a travel pack for women and I own this pack myself.
- Capacity: 60L
- Weight: 2.35kg
- Adjustable TFX Travel zip-away harness & hipbelt
- Variable front zippered entry
- Removable shoulder strap
- Side & top carry handles
- Front stash pocket
- Inside pocket
2. Berghaus Jalan 60L+10L day sack (RRP: £100 / $158)
- Capacity: 60L + 10L day sack
- Weight: 2.1kg
- Flow back-system with adjustable back length
- Women’s specific harness
- Height adjustable chest strap
- Removable daysac with multiple features including zipped pockets, organiser, padded harness, chest strap, etc.
- Padded side and top carry handles
- Daysac can clip to main pack harness
- Padded detachable shoulder strap
- Zip-away harness cover
- Zipped entrance to main compartment
- Mesh front pocket(s)
- Zipped front pocket(s)
- Internal mesh pocket(s)
- Lockable zip sliders
- Internal compression strap(s)
- Adapta-Wrap compression
3. Osprey Farpoint 40L + 15L day pack (also available in 55L +15L day sack) (RRP: £90 / $179)
- Capacity: 40L +15L day sack (also available in 55L + 15L day sack)
- Weight: 1.78kg
- Unisex harness with spacer back panel and light wire suspension system
- ErgoPull hipbelt closure; suspension system zips up and stores in panel
- Removable sleeping pad straps
- Removable zip-and-clip daypack including; Internal stretch laptop or hydration sleeve, Tuckaway harness and MPS access port