1. Make sure you know each other’s ‘flash point’ in order to avoid arguments. We both know we are irritable when we are hungry so we acknowledge this and stop and eat if possible.
2. It’s natural to argue; after all you’ll be spending 24/7 with each other, but don’t be stubborn and be prepared to say sorry.
3. If you encounter any problems whilst travelling then tackle them head on together rather than burying your head in the sand or blaming each other.
4. Get a joint bank account so there are no squabbles about money. I have a Norwich and Peterborough account (free transactions abroad) which we both put equal amounts of money into and use whenever we travel.
5. Remember to pack a sense of humour. When things don’t go your way you need to be able to laugh about it.