Having stayed in dorm rooms in many countries around the world, I have experienced many of the “annoyances” that staying in a dorm room can bring. On my most recent trip through Japan, I decided to put some of my thoughts to paper to help newbie dorm dwellers keep on the good side of their room mates.
You may wish to take these with a pinch of salt though as I am fast approaching the big ’30’ and I have concluded that I much prefer private rooms – however I hope you take some of these on board!
- If the light is off, and it is past 9pm, do not turn it on – someone is trying to sleep!
- If you have to leave early in the morning, get everything you need out of your backpack so you don’t need to rummage in the morning – and get changed in the bathroom.
- Similar to point 2 above, if you are departing early, pack most of your belongings the night before, then in the morning finish packing in the common room and let your dorm mates sleep.
- Don’t have sex (there are other human beings in the room – have some consideration!)
- If you need to make your own bed up, do so immediately and not at 11pm when you decide to go to bed.
- If people are trying to sleep, do not have a conservation at full volume – go to the common room if you wish to chat.